Sunday, May 27, 2012

Lessology Challenge 14 - Birds of Feather

http://lessology.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/lessology-challenge-14-birds-of-feather.html
(scroll down to view completed project)
Here is my altered egg basket which is now a birdcage with a nest and little birdie dangling inside. Its been such fun to make and my boys have really given me a stirring over this!!
Anyway it fits the criteria for Challenge 14 over at Lessology - a favourite blog!

The main piece is an opshop wire egg basket which was $1, the bird was 50cents after Christmas at our local florist.


As the basket did not have a lid and I didn't want my bird to fly away I made one out of brown paper covered florist wired twisted to form the needed shape and attached on one side.
I glued and wrapped heavy twine around the handled to hid the original spring like metal handle.

Other ingredients are muslin strips which I "Tim-dyed", old lace, old buttons, scraps, tigs, twine and all sorts for the birds nest at the base of the cage and paper flowers from my home made stash.



 Working on the nest was like kindergarten.....sticky mess!!

The bird hangs inside the cage from the centre of the 'lid''
The bird was originally plain white metal with punched holes. It too is now 'Tim-stained' and I embossed a heart shape on each side.
I made the tag and the flowers are torn pieces from the edge of tea dyed cotton lace pieces.
Lol the twigs on the tag are cut from the rolled stick fence in the backyard.

I just had to add the buttons.....I loved spending time picking out the colours that fitted in. When I went outside to take the photos and hung the cage on the tree the leaves dropped in, so I have left them there as the autumn tones are just beautifull.
The two photos below are my favourites...this is outside in the garden...I think the little bird is happier wiht the "lid off"'!



 This photo below shows the reverse side of the tag. The paper is Kaisercraft Timeless Collection

The basket looking down from above to show the nest inside.....

I was lucky to have the perfect flowers to add from a previous project which I made with cricut cuts.
Thanks for looking.....










9 comments:

fern said...

What a clever girl u r, u have done a beautiful job

yyam said...

Awwww....what an adorable project! I love how you made your own "lid" so that the birdie wouldn't fly away...soooooo clever! ;)

It's such an awesome upcycled project Robyn! Thanks for joining us at LESSology! :)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is amazing, thanks for sharing your lovely project with us at LESSology!

Leanne said...

WOW. You never cease to amaze, with your projects. This is stunning, such a clever lady.

Tracey said...

WOW....how awesome Robyn, so creative! YOur flowers are fabulous!

jeanie g said...

Love your take on the challenge especially the flowers and autumn leaves!

Mynn xx said...

This is just OH SO GORGEOUS!!! LOVE all your elements around the basked--fabulous artwork! :)

~amy~ said...

WOW...such a pretty projects!!!! Thanks for playing with us at LESSology!

Linda said...

So pretty! Thanks for joining us at LESSology with your amazing creations.